Saturday, June 14, 2014

Key Ingredients to Look For When Dealing with Problem Skin

Whilst I am fairly lucky in that my skin behaves most of the time, I do suffer from hormonal blemishes and the occasional breakout, normally around the cheek area which can be a real blow to my confidence. We're talking really angry blemishes that feel as though they're about to take over my entire face.

I can always tell when all hell is about to break loose as I can feel the lumps and bumps under my skin when I'm cleansing my face. I've learnt over the years that there are a few skincare ingredients to keep an eye open for which will help to clear my skin and keep things in check. I've also included some other handy tips that may help to reduce your blemishes in future.

Charcoal
 
Why?  Whilst it's more commonly found in your BBQ, this actually works wonders on your skin. To be a little more specific, keep your peepers peeled for products which contain activated charcoal as this is the good stuff! Charcoal by it's very nature is a great absorber and it has been found to help draw out bacteria, toxins and all other manner of nasties from the skin which is why it's so great when your skin is looking congested. Charcoal has even been found to help with stings, bites and all manner of 'digestive issues'.
 
My product of choice? This has to be the Origins Clear Improvement Mask which is a steal at only £22. The active charcoal really helps to draw out impurities and whenever I use this my skin is ten times better by the following morning.

Clay
 
Why? You've probably spotted a lot of products which contain clay in all sorts of forms, white clay, earth clay and even red clay. Regardless of what kind of clay you are using, the basic principles are pretty much the same, it will decongest your skin and draw out impurities and most clay products will help to reduce redness and inflamation. The main difference between clay and charcoal is that clay products tend to work in two phases, the first being when the clay is damp and your skin is sucking up all the good stuff, namely the minerals within the clay, and the second phase when the clay is drying (don't let clay dry completely) and it's contracting.  
My product of choice? This obviously has to be the Murad Claryifying Mask which I have previously raved about HERE. Whilst it is a little pricier than other clay masks on the market, I've always found this works a treat, helping to clear up my skin and even keeps down any oiliness for a good few days post application.

Salicylic Acid
 
Why? This helps to open clogged pores, remove excess oil and is even helps to exfoliate your skin. This is normally used in blemish treatments as it helps to keep pores clear and neutralises bacteria without over drying the skin. Please ensure that you don't use this everyday, having the occasional blemish does not mean you have acne.
 
My product of choice? This one goes to La Roche Posay and their Effaclar Duo (+) which I tend to use as a serum 2-3 times a week if my skin is showing it's usual tell tale signs. This does an amazing job at helping to clear out my skin and keep the blemishes at bay. It's great at helping to clear up existing blemishes as well, just try not to use it everday (unless you have acne prone skin). At only £15.50 it won't break the bank.

Whilst these are some of ingredients which I've found work best for me, other handy tips I've picked up over the years are:
  • Always aim to wash your make-up brushes once a week, if you're suddenly breaking out quite frequently take a look at your brushes as these could be spreading oil and bacteria around your face
  • Drink lots of water or if you can't stand plain water, add a slice of lemon or orange, this will help to flush out toxins from your system
  • Try exfoliating with an acid based exfoliator once to twice a week, this will help remove dead skin cells
  • Try drinking chamomile tea, it's a natural calming remedy
  • Try snacking on nuts and healthy snack bars such as Nakd bars instead of sugary treats and crisps, these are full of nutrients that your skin will love!

I hope you've found this post helpful, do you have any key ingredients you look for when your skin is misbehaving?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)