Monday, September 28, 2015

A Couple of Reads Which Might Change Your Life

Following on from my recent book related post, I have two more which I need to share with you before I forget!
First of all, The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson, the same Jon Ronson of "The Men Who Stare At Goats" fame. I'll be honest and say I absolutely demolished this book and found it totally hilarious. I loved it so much, my other half has read it already and I've already finished his latest offering which is entitled "So You've Been Publicly Shamed."

What's great about this book is it's educationally, but it's been written in such a way that it feels fun and enjoyable. However, I will say, once you've finished this, you may be convinced most of your friends of psychopaths and if you work in London, you'll know that everyone is off their trolley and could therefore make you doubt EVERYONE!

I realise I'm not describing this particularly well, so, if it helps, Amazon describe this as follows "What if society wasn't fundamentally rational, but was motivated by insanity? This thought sets Jon Ronson on an utterly compelling adventure into the world of madness...Along the way, Jon meets psychopaths, those whose lives have been touched by madness and those whose job it is to diagnose it, including the influential psychologist who developed the Psychopath Test, from whom Jon learns the art of psychopath-spotting. A skill which seemingly reveals that madness could indeed be at the heart of everything...Combining Jon Ronson's trademark humour, charm and investigative incision, The Psychopath Test is both entertaining and honest, unearthing dangerous truths and asking serious questions about how we define normality in a world where we are increasingly judged by our maddest edges."

Next is an absolute god send for those of us that have a slight obsession with cleaning and tidying in general. Of course, I'm talking about the sensation that is The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying by Marie Kondo. This really is life changing, especially when it came to me tidying out my wardrobe and clothing in general. In one swift (well 2 hour) session I managed to completely organise my clothing and rid myself of three bags full of clothing. Two of those bags went to charity whilst the other sadly contained clothing which had become damp damaged in our flat so had to be binned.

I've now done the entire house and gotten rid of so much stuff it's unreal! I slept like an absolute baby when it was done and feel much more calm at home which is wonderful. If you're strange like me and actually feel a sense of accomplishment when tidying and cleaning then this book could be for you. 


Amazon describe it as "Transform your home into a permanently clear and clutter-free space with the incredible KonMari Method. Japan's expert declutterer and professional cleaner Marie Kondo will help you tidy your rooms once and for all with her inspirational step-by-step method....The key to successful tidying is to tackle your home in the correct order, to keep only the things you really love and to do it all at once – and quickly. After that for the rest of your life you only need to choose what to keep and what to discard...The KonMari Method will not just transform your space. Once you have your house in order you will find that your whole life will change. You can feel more confident, you can become more successful, and you can have the energy and motivation to create the life you want. You will also have the courage to move on from the negative aspects of your life: you can recognise and finish a bad relationship; you can stop feeling anxious; you can finally lose weight....Marie Kondo's method is based on a 'once-cleaned, never-messy-again' approach. If you think that such a thing is impossible then you should definitely read this compelling book."

Have you read either of these books? Did you find them life-changing? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)