Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tuesday Tasties No.34

Wow, it's been toasty these past few days. This has undoubtedly meant that I am simple not in the mood for hearty stodgy meals and instead I'm favouring high protein, vegetable packed delights. I've been lucky enough to have been sent some money off vouchers for steak as part of the Tesco Orchard Programme (click HERE for more info and to sign up yourself!) which meant that I could afford to try something a little fancier than what I'd usually go for.

Steak with Kale & Cannellini Mash
 
Whenever Ad and I have steak, it's almost always with chips and a peppercorn sauce. However, as part of the programme I thought I would experiment and try something different. This recipe is ideal for a midweek meal and is pretty protein packed making it ideal for a post-workout meal as well. You'll need:
 
  • Olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tbsp of Dijon Mustard
  • 2 steaks, whatever your preference
  • 200g bag of kale
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 crushed garlic clove
  • A little rosemary
  • 1 can of cannellini beans, drained
  • 100ml of chicken stock
  • A little lemon juice
First things first, combine a little bit of olive oil with the mustard and rub this all over the steaks. Heat up your pan before frying them off on both sides and seasoning with some salt & pepper. Cook to your liking before setting to one side to rest.
Now, I'm going to show you a handy tip for cooking your kale, this has made my life so simple! All you need is a kettle full of just boiled water and a colander.
Put all of the kale into the colander before CAREFULLY pouring the just boiled water over it. This will cook (aka wilt) the kale to perfection. Just leave it to cool slightly before squeezing out any excess water or you'll more than likely burn yourself.

Time to make the mash, firstly use the same pan in which you cooked the steaks and add a little more olive oil the onion, garlic and rosemary to the pan and fry for around 5 minutes. Cooking the mash in the same pan means you get some of those lovely beef flavours into your mash. Then, add the beans, stock and lemon juice to the mixture before leaving to simmer a little. 
Once the beans have softened, add the kale and give everything a good stir before plating up. I like to give my beans a little bit of a smoosh to add some texture. Pop the beans on the bottom before adding the steak to the top of the mash.
The simply scoff away. I haven't had kale in such a long time, but seeing as it's all the rage at the moment, I thought it was time to dive back in!

How do you normally have your steak?

As part of this recipe I received a voucher from the Orchard Programme at Tesco which secured me some money off of my steak. If you fancy getting involved then please feel free to click the link above to read up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)