Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Tuesday Tasties No.50 - Comfort Food Ahoy

Don't worry guys, I only plan on doing a couple more of these anthology style posts, there will be one this week and the final one next week to celebrate my blogs first birthday (18th September in case you were wondering). Today, I want to focus on comfort food! 

We all have days when we're feeling pretty crummy be it tiredness, being full of a cold or generally just having one of those days. On those days I find curling up on the sofa and having a hearty dose of trashy TV  makes things a wee bit better, but some good grub always manages to help things seem not quite so bad.

First up, we have Chicken Hotpot which is so simple to make but wonderfully satisfying. I suspect it has something to do with the fragrant star anise, combined with a slight chilli hit balanced with the saltiness of the fish sauce and sweetness of muscovado. The flavours just work together perfectly,plus, there's no guilt as this dish mainly features chicken and pak choi which makes it pretty darn healthy.
Next, I've turned my hand to something more Italian in fare with this Ricotta Pasta Bake which takes a wee bit more time and effort but is seriously worth it. It's a layered pasta dish which alternates between a sausage ragu and cheesy lemon ricotta. Full of my favourite things, stodge, cheese and sausages. Yummy!
Another pasta dish for your consideration, and this one is a classic which can be tweaked to suit your fancy. This is Mac 'n' Cheese and given that it combines two of my favourites listed above, it should come as no surprise that this dish features in my comfort food anthology. I can't quite put into words how satisfying it is to cut into, especially when the top is crisp and golden and the filling is a combination of gooey/stringy goodness. This never fails to hit the spot.
The final dish I want to share with you today is another quick and easy one to fling together. This being my take on Patatas Bravas  namely crispy paprika coated tatties, a perfectly fried egg and posh baked beans. Heck, this is fit enough for a veggie style fry up or dinner if you're lazy like me and can't really be bothered to cook.

What are your go to comfort food dishes? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)