Saturday, November 1, 2014

Outfit of the Day - Reworking A Summer Purchase

For those of you outside of the UK, the weather in London has been incredibly grim as of late. Rain, followed by a gale so blustery your umbrella isn't having any of it, followed by more rain and a bitter chill. Whilst this makes leaving the house incredibly hard in the morning it does mean I can finally dig out the knitwear.

As it's getting cooler, I wanted to find a new way to wear one of my favourite summer buys, my faux leather skirt from Zara. In the summer, I styled it like THIS but that's obviously not weather appropriate right now, not least of all, because of the rain!
Before I get on with the post, I just want to address the elephant in the room, I look like a miserable moo in most of these pictures. I thought I was smiling, but apparently this was not the case. Anyways, moving on. Today I am wearing:-

Jumper: Cable knit from Gap in the sale last year
Skirt: Faux Leather A-Line from Zara
Boots: Marks & Spencer
First of all the sweater, I got this for something like £15 in the Gap sale on boxing day last year. Whilst it wasn't that chilly at the time, I could see this looking cute paired with skinny jeans, I love the slightly sparkly notes from the silver-esque thread which give the jumper a slightly festive feel (I know, I know).
You can see what I mean about the silver a little better in the photo above. As a sweater, it's nice and thick but not so thick I feel as though I'm walking around wearing a radiator or something. It's just thick enough that I don't need an extra layer while out and about.
I wanted to go for a slightly more androgynous/I woke up like this kinda feel with tmy outfit so a chunky knit (which is obviously not particularly figure hugging) paired with my slightly manly boots really helped create that.
To top things off I swept back my long flowing locks into a very messy bun and kept my make-up pretty minimal. I'm literally wearing some primer, mascara and a red lip to stop things looking overly feminine and forced. 
I tried to tuck the sweater into my skirt a wee bit to accentuate the fact that underneath that chunky sweater, there is in fact, a waist! This kinda failed as during the course of the day it kept coming untucked but the thought was there.

What do you think of my attempt at restyling a summer favourite for the cooler months? How would you style the skirt?

2 comments:

  1. Very hip, Laura! I like the androgynous look offset by the pop of lip color. It's a great balance of masculine and feminine, and I admire ladies who strike that balance so beautifully in their outfits.

    What a great skirt! It's such a great piece on its own, but it's really just a black skirt, which means it's so versatile and classic. The chunky knit sweater was a great way to create a relaxed look. I feel like this is a great day look. It might be fun to swap out the sweater and and try some different accessories to style it for nighttime. I might tuck a blouse-y top into the skirt and let it poof out over the waistband a little bit. I'd go for black tights and a heeled ankle or knee boot. Then I'd add a dangling statement earring for a bit of glitz.

    I just got a faux leather quilted skirt in black. It's part of my new collection with Cool Gal Blue. I've been admiring pleather skirts since last fall, and I'm so happy to finally have one of my own. Plus, I really love the cozy quality that quilting adds, so I just adore the skirt! You make me want to pair it with a chunky sweater and boots to try my own hand at a masculine-meets-feminine look!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad had to tell me off at one point as the jumper was ruffling up the skirt and it looked as though I was hiding something (although what I couldn't possibly say).

      I've really been loving a more masculine element to my outfits lately and I am really enjoying putting my brogues to good use. Whilst I appreciate they can be a little clunky they're just so darn comfortable.

      I think you're right, it is just a black skirt, I think I've kind of had it in this pleather box and I've only worn it three of four times as I was trying to think of things which would look good with it. I suppose when you put it that way, I really have no excuse, it should go with everything!

      Thanks for your styling tips, I might give those a go soon, I have a gorgeous blouse which I've only been wearing with trousers which would look lovely.

      I've had a peek at your collection today, it looks wonderful, you should be very very proud right now!

      Laura x

      Delete

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)