Saturday, December 21, 2013

December Birchbox Review

I thought I'd wait a little while before reviewing this months Birchbox.  Partly to ensure I don't spoil the surprise for anyone, but also to see if I changed my mind about it.

The theme this month, other than the obvious Christmas parties is Winter Wonderland with products in this months box designed to help you achieve some sparkle and shine. I always look at the spoilers and was super excited when I spotted Korres, Aromatherapy Associates (which has been on my hit list for months!), Jane Iredale and Sin-Care which has been causing a bit of a stir in the blogging community.

Alas...I didn't receive any of the above. Obviously it wasn't meant to be, hence my earlier comment about changing my mind. In all honesty, this is the first time I've been a little bit, well, disappointed is maybe a bit strong, lets say 'MEH' about my Birchbox.

Moving on, here's what this months box looked like for me.
The bright pink card which you can spot is a $20 gift card for Baublebar to celebrate their UK launch. Baublebar is a website which features all sorts of fashion jewellery which might come in handy if you need to update your accessories any time soon.
Here's a closer look at this months goodies.

  • Number 4 Non-Aerosol Hairspray - 43ml The appeal of this hairspray is that it's environmentally friendly as it's not packed with the usual chemicals you'd find in hairspray cannisters from the drug store. From what I've read it provides fantastic hold without being crunchy thus allowing your hair to maintain it's natural movement.
  • Nail Rock Nail Glitter - Full Size This is fairly similar to the Ciate Caviar/Glitter polishes in that you apply two coats of polish before dipping your nail into the glitter pot and brushing off the excess. Once you've allowed your nails around 20-minutes to dry you're good to go. To be honest, I'm incredibly heavy handed and this sort of thing doesn't really last on my nails.  Whilst the idea is great (the price point is even better), I'm likely to give this away.
  • Twistband - One Band This is the classic no snag hair band.  Super handy and given the variety of colours, you could get away with wearing one of these on your wrist if you fancied.
  • Delarom Acquaconfort Mask - 15ml This is a hydrating mask packed full of Pomegranate extracts to strengthen the skins barrier whilst providing a shield against dehydration.  You only need 5-10 minutes to feel the benefits. This will be handy now the temperatures have dropped!
  • BeeKind Body Lotion - 30ml As you'd expect, this body lotion has honey extracts in addition to chamomile and fresh verbena to keep you smelling wonderful. The unique selling point of this line is that a portion of the proceeds go to support honey bee sustainability.
  • Alima Pure Luminous Shimmer Eyeshadow These products do remind me a little of BareMinerals. They're all natural with no additives, fillers or fragrances which can irritate the skin.  As with the above mentioned brand, with long term use, the products can actually improve and benefit your skin.  The shade is lovely and natural but I'd be more likely to use this eyeshadow when I've got plenty of time to get ready.  Loose powder and me don't really have the best relationship! 
Whilst this is a very mixed bag of products the only product that I'm really excited to use is the face mask.  I have a mountain of body lotions (having been quite lucky and secured a Soap & Glory Box for myself), I don't really style my hair in any manner to warrant the use of hairspray nor will I muster up the motivation to dip my nails in glitter given it will no doubt need removing the following day.

Sorry Birchbox, this month just wasn't for me!

What did you think of the December Birchbox?  Did you get your hands on everything you were hoping for?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)