Monday, March 9, 2015

The High Fat Diet - We're Done!

The last 14 days feel as though they've flown by and my body has been through some serious changes in a very short space of time. I've not only lost a rather hefty amount of weight (I'll tell you how much below) but I've managed to shift some serious body fat too.

My body is now in full Ketosis which means that instead of burning carbohydrates for energy, my body is now burning fat instead. To keep an eye on my bodies progression into Ketosis, Ad kindly invested in some Ketostix which, whilst aren't necessary to complete the diet, they allow you to see how your body is doing in your quest to ween it off carbs!

Rather than waffling on, I thought I'd give you some key bits and pieces which I've learnt while doing the High Fat Diet:-

  • The diet is somewhat diuretic, after all, Ketones only leave in the body in one of two ways, so hydration is key! Drink water, drink green tea, drink whatever you're allowed on the plan. When you're done, drink some more. Just be prepared to be heading to the loo fairly frequently
  • Linked to the above, but if you don't drink enough, you will probably feel dizzy, light-headed, faint, nauseous and are likely to be ill. How do I know this? On day 13 I ended up on the floor with serious dehydration, please don't make my mistake, it wasn't pleasant and resulted in a PJ and duvet day for me until my fluid levels were back up
  • If you're a vegetarian, you CANNOT do this diet
  • You need to be able to eat avocados and cream cheese almost every day, after all, it's not nicknamed the cream cheese diet for nothing. Whilst there are substitutions for avocados, you will be eating A LOT of cheese for the next two weeks so if you don't like that idea, don't bother trying this
  • Be sure to check the labels on the bacon, chorizo and smoked salmon you're buying, you'll be surprised how many supermarkets add sugar to these which will obviously affect your results. I found some sugar free smoked salmon in Tesco (organic only), Sainsburys (perhaps the cheapest option), and also Marks and Spencer. Be careful, not all of the lines on offer are sugar free so check labels.
  • The first four days on the pre-tox are not easy! Stick with it, plough through it, you're only in this for two weeks and that feeling will pass
  • Following on from the above, Magnesium supplements will help with the fatigue induced during the pre-tox so be sure to grab some before you start and take them every day
  • Don't try and do additional exercise on top of the 12-minute HIIT plan as this could be counter-productive and cause your body to store the fat your eating. The 12-minute plan is more than sufficient and will help to tone your body.
  • It doesn't work out that much more expensive than your usual shop. We used to spend £50 a week on our shopping and it's currently around £65. BUT, when you take into consideration that you'll no longer be buying that morning coffee or additional snacks, you've soon made up the difference in cost. Be sure to shop around as well, I've used two different supermarkets (one last week and a different one this week) depending on what I need - there can be a MASSIVE difference in cost so shop around
Now, without keeping you hanging, here are my final results, well sort of, I forgot to weigh myself before my breakfast on Saturday so my results are from Friday morning, the last day of the diet! I've taken an extra photo as it's difficult to see all of the extra definition (from the muscle I've put on) from purely a front on angle, I hope you guys don't mind!

Here's the final scores:

  • Waist: 27 inches (I've lost an inch here)
  • Tummy: 30 inches (I've lost 3 inches here)
  • Body Fat: 25.2% (down 3% since I started)
Hopefully you can see how much flatter my stomach is since I started, if you're not sure what that looked like, you can find the post HERE.

It's also worth noting I've lost 9lbs since I started, albeit I suspect much of that was water weight as it were. Towards the end of the diet the weight loss did start to slow down, but the drop in my body fat percentage was huge! You've gotta remember that whilst your loosing fat, you're also building muscle.
Hopefully this picture will show that a little better.

All in it, this style of diet really worked for me, to remind you, I used the book written by Zana Morris & Helen Foster which is available on Amazon (and probably from other retailers as well).

I hope you enjoyed this series and you found it helpful, please do let me know how you get on if you decide to try it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Studio Mommy (© Copyright 2015)